Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Urge, Purge and Redesign

So I am starting to feel the strong urge to get everything in order before the baby comes. This manifests itself in ways like cleaning out closets, purging my life of unnecessary things (Stephen has a rule that I am not allowed to touch his stuff...that was probably a good call on his part!) and getting projects that I have wanted to do DONE. This past weekend while Stephen and I were both out of town we had a college kid that we know come and paint our kitchen and den. These two rooms flow right into each other and I have been wanting to paint them for awhile. It was so nice to come home and have it done. As I started piecing the rooms back together I decided that I wanted to "rearrange" the den. There is something refreshing about reworking a room and I was inspired by some friends of mine that had just done this same thing to their living room...shout out to the Clausens! When we first moved in and set up this room I liked it but always wanted to try and have the kitchen and the den flow together better. 
As I was moving things around I realized that I didn't have all the pieces that would make the vision in my head a reality. I would need another end table and 2 lamp shades to go on top of these lamp bases that my mom gave me. So I headed out. First stop HomeGoods. Most of the end tables there were out of my price range since I was going for very cheap but I did find lampshades like this for $12.99 a pop. I snagged 2.
Next stop Goodwill. I found a end table for $2.99 but it needed some serious love...
Sick right? Since I didn't have a lot of time I decided to try my hand at spray paining the table.I gave it a good wash, let it dry and then spray painted the body of the table coco brown. The top part of the table drops down about 3 inches and has a piece of glass that goes over it kinda like a shadow box.  I decided to paint that inside part white to add some contrast and make a nice crisp backdrop for some of the fun things I was going to put into it. The project took less then 2 hours and this is how it turned out...

And here is the entire room.

So that is my project. One down and a couple more to go!

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow...The room looks so great !! And kudos on the table.....great find, great "rehab" job !! Such a creative pregnant women you are.....having that nesting instinct and acting on it.

    Love it. Can't wait to see the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Who are you? Seriously. So so cute. Love the new table and love the new arrangement. You are just great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your room! I really like the colors and style. Totally you and totally somewhere I'd like to plop down and chat with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The room looks great. You are so creative, and thrifty! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it K! I would love to see more pictures of your house. It looks so YOU :) Awesome job on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KERESA!!! It looks awesome!!!! Are you kidding me? So much better. So fantastic. And the table came out so great. Seriously I'm dying. I know you can hear me squealing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the shout out, love. :) it's like breathing new life into a room...I love it! You're so great how you set your mind to something and pound it out. (take, for example, the baby's room and the next morning blog post. amazing) I think I need some of that in my life!

    ReplyDelete