Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I think my heart stopped!

So I officially had my first moment as a mother when your heart stops and you realize "this could end terribly!"
Let me set the scene for you...I needed to go down to the basement to start the load of diapers for Taft since he was almost out. I bring him down with me most of the time because he loves being down there. He lays on the counter on his car seat warm sack and hangs out with his bird. Totally great set up while mom does laundry!


Now...I have known for awhile that this will not continue to work because he is rolling (EVERYWHERE) but I have managed to stretch it out by turning the way he lays and placing blankets around him so that he will not roll off. Today was a different story. I set him down and was standing by the washer loading diapers when I looked over...(praise the LORD) and notices my little man rolling OFF the edge of the counter. Lets pause for a moment and view what our floor looks like in the laundry room...
Oh wonderful! Look at that hard, unforgiving concrete! Note: that is not blood from my sons head just a terrible paint job from the previous owners.

So as I am looking at him roll I don't even think I just slide tackle onto the ground...it was for all intense purposes a total James Bond move. As I am James Bonding it across the laundry room floor I realize I am screaming "Oh my gosh Taft!!" I get there just in time to slide my arm under his head and protect his small soft skull from smashing on the floor ( I realize I am being a little dramatice but this scene is burned into my mind!) I look at him and his flashes me a smile and then realizes that not only did I scare him to death from yelling but he was also free falling from his comfy oh so secure haven...Panic sets in and he crys one of those crys where he forgets to take a breath. We snuggle for the next 5 min as mommy says over and over...I am so sorry I will never do that again and checks for any broken bones or skull franctures. And then we recover. All is good and my little guy is back to his cheerful self. Meanwhile I am still shaking and telling myself "you knew better!!!!" We now have a little set up on the floor that is much safer for when we are down there doing laundry together  : )

4 comments:

  1. You know that verse well.....Psalm 91:11

    He has commanded His angels to guard you in all your ways.....pretty sure an angel was on duty !! Might be time to get a better, softer, padded rug for that area...then he can play on the floor.....

    Glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happens to everyone chica...Jackson took A LOT of HARD falls as an infant. So scary, but God does look over these little ones. Chin up sista they are more resilient than we are, physically and emotionally! Kaelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hon, in those moments...you described it perfectly as a James bond moment..it is never less dramatic to a mommy in that fearful moment. Tyler's great fall was a roll off the dr. Table...with the dr in the room! Wish I had a story like yours, Tyler is fine...God is way better than we are at that protection thing! :) thanks for sharing your story! Oh boys! They just get harder to cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. would have loved to see the James Bond moves! :) Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete